The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Wood Mountain Dakota First Nation

The Wood Mountain Reserve consists of 2,376.2 ha of rolling prairie near the village of Wood Mountain. The nomadic Dakota camped in the borderland between the United Stated and Canada in the mid-1800s, establishing a degree of permanency in the territory between Jean-Louis Légaré’s Wood Mountain trading post and Moose Jaw Creek by 1876. Joined by Sitting Bull in his flight from the US Cavalry, many of his people remained at Wood Mountain when he returned to the United States in 1881, supporting themselves through traditional subsistence and wage labour. On October 29, 1910, a temporary reserve was created for them near Wood Mountain, and although the Lakota never signed treaty with the Canadian government the Wood Mountain Reserve was recognized by an Order-in-Council on August 5, 1930. The band’s thirty-seven founding families declined in number, in part from marrying into the surrounding non-First Nations community. There are 209 registered band members, only twelve of whom live on the reserve.

Christian Thompson

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.