The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Sisters of the Child Jesus

In 1667, Anne Marie Martel, under the direction of a Sulpician priest, began instructing poor uneducated women in the region of Le Puy, France. In 1896 Bishop Paul Durieu of New Westminster, BC, requested Sisters of the Child Jesus to come and teach the Native Children in his territory. Four Sisters traveled from France to Canada and began their work at St. Joseph’s Mission, near William’s Lake.

In 1915, the congregation, based then in North Vancouver, agreed to send Sisters to Saskatchewan to carry out domestic work for Bishop Pascal and the many priests who lived in the clergy residence in Prince Albert. In the following years, Sisters also came to St. Hippolyte, North Battleford, Albertville, Saskatoon and Jackfish Lake. They taught in both public and separate schools, nursed, and did pastoral works in parishes, homes and hospitals. At the present time there are Sisters of the Child Jesus in North Battleford and Saskatoon, where they continue to be involved in pastoral ministry.

Marianne Flory

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.