The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Sisters of Our Lady of the Cross

The congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of the Cross (Notre Dame de la Croix) was founded in 1832 in Murinais, France for the Education of young girls, and the care of the sick and elderly in their homes. On invitation from the La Salette priests, Sisters M. Alype, M. Ludovic and five others came to Forget, Saskatchewan from France in 1905. They established a bilingual school, which opened on March 1, 1906, as St. Joseph Academy for boys and girls, both boarders and day-scholars. Other schools where the Sisters taught were St. Hubert via Whitewood (1907–68); St. Anne Convent, Wauchope (1917–64); Sacred Heart Convent, with three public school classrooms; Montmartre (1920–70); and the School for Mentally Challenged Children and Adults, Redvers (1964–80). The congregation also founded and owned Joan of Arc Home; St. Hubert Mission via Whitewood (1920–68); St. Joseph Home, Marcelin (1944–56); Mount St. Mary Home, Weyburn (1953–77); and Mount St. Joseph, Prince Albert (1956–92). At present, Sisters of Our Lady of the Cross are in Saskatoon and Prince Albert, where they assist in teaching, nursing, social services, and parish work.

Marie Raiwet

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.