The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Sisters of Notre Dame d’Auvergne (SND)

The congregation of Sisters of Notre Dame d’Auvergne (the name used in Canada) had its beginnings in Usson-en Forez, France in 1730. Their first Rule was approved in 1745 and they were given the name still used in France: Soeurs de Notre Dame de Chambriac. In 1913, at the request of Fr. Albert Royer, the founder of the town of Ponteix, six Sisters came from France to Saskatchewan to establish and staff a school and a hospital. Today the Sisters continue to minister in Ponteix and Saskatoon. Their apostolate continues to focus primarily on youth, the sick and the poor.

Rose-Alma Dumont

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.