The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan


Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.


Town, pop 478, located approximately 69 km NW of Swift Current, N of the South Saskatchewan River and Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park. Ranchers operated in the district as early as 1883, and in 1923 the townsite of Kyle was established. The community grew steadily until the 1950s, at which point the population stabilized around 500. The Kyle area economy has traditionally been based upon agriculture, but in recent years oil and gas production has also become important. In 1964, the remains of a woolly mammoth were found by road workers 5 km west of the town. The bones were estimated to be about 12,000 years old; to commemorate the find, a concrete replica of the mammoth, approximately three metres high, was erected in the community.

David McLennan

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.