The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Keeseekoose First Nation

Chief Keeseekoose signed Treaty 4 on September 15, 1874, and settled on the Swan River Reserve, Manitoba. Because of flooding, the band was relocated to their present reserve near the towns of Pelly and Kamsack, between the Cote and Key Reserves. Of the 1,951 Keeseekoose Band members, 626 live on the 8,475-ha reserve. The band-controlled St. Phillip’s School sits on the same grounds as the old residential school, while their strip mall houses a gas station and convenience store, as well as the Yorkton Tribal Council Child and Family Services, Fort Pelly RCMP Detachment, and Treaty Land Entitlement Office (also serving the Key and Cote Reserves).

Christian Thompson

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.