The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Hmcs Saskatoon

HMCS Saskatoon was commissioned in December 1998, and is the second Canadian warship to carry the name. This Kingston Class Maritime Coastal Defense Vessel carries out various roles such as search and rescue missions, mine countermeasures, training, and coastal patrols. It features ultra-modern engineering, allowing power and versatility in maneuvering and operations. HMCS Saskatoon ’s home port is Esquimalt, British Columbia. The ship keeps many ties with the city of Saskatoon: areas on the ship are named after Saskatoon landmarks, such as Cranberry Flats for the captain’s level, and Idylwyld for one of the main hallways.

The original HMCS Saskatoon was built in Montreal as a Flower Class Corvette and was commissioned into the Royal Canadian Navy in June 1941. The ship spent much of its career on patrol and escort duties on the east coast of North America, having at various times home ports in Halifax, St. John’s, Boston and New York. In carrying out her work, HMCS Saskatoon gained a reputation for being a steadfast and hardworking vessel. Perhaps the most noteworthy event of her career was the escorting of the German submarine U-889 back to a Canadian port after its surrender. After the war, the HMCS Saskatoon was decommissioned and sold to a private buyer.

Lauren Black

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.