The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Hafford

Town, pop 401, located 65 km E of North Battleford, at the junction of Hwys 40 and 340. The town, situated in beautiful rolling countryside on the southern edge of the Aspen parklands, is a service centre for a predominantly agricultural district. In the early 1900s, the region was populated by one of the largest block settlements of Ukrainians in Saskatchewan (see Ukrainian Settlements). The community grew rapidly, and although much of the business district was destroyed by fire in 1950, the village was rebuilt and had a population of nearly 600 by the late 1960s. Hafford today has a wide array of businesses and services. While most of its residents are employed in agriculture, small business, health, administration, and Education, a small number commute to work in Saskatoon. Hafford’s rich Ukrainian heritage is still very much in evidence: the town’s street signs are in both Ukrainian and English, and a number of the community’s annual events have Ukrainian themes.

David McLennan

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.