The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Estevan Police Service

The Estevan Police Service is one of twelve municipal police forces in Saskatchewan. The Estevan police are responsible for enforcing federal, provincial, and municipal laws applicable in the city of Estevan. Policing in Estevan began in 1906, the year Estevan was incorporated as a town; the first police officer to serve the townspeople was officer S. Dryden. Prior to 1906, laws in the village of Estevan were enforced by the North-West Mounted Police (NWMP). In 1886, NWMP inspector J.A. McGibbon came to the Estevan area from Regina. Accompanied by sixteen men and twenty-five horses, McGibbon established summer headquarters at Alameda, with a detachment at Wood End, eight miles south of Estevan; and by 1892, an NWMP detachment had been set up in Estevan. Through the 1920s and 1930s Estevan’s police force consisted of a chief and a single constable. In 1957, Estevan was proclaimed a city and its municipal police force had grown to nine officers. Today, serving Saskatchewan’s eighth largest city and a population of over 10,000, the Estevan Police Service maintains a staff of twenty-six, including twelve constables, five sergeants, and a chief of police.

Iain Stewart

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.