The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Alameda

Town, pop 311, located 60 km NE of Estevan and 40 km N of the US border. The first settlers in the early 1880s were of Scottish and English origins. Beginning in 1897, German settlers from Michigan began homesteading in the district. Today, mixed Farming and oil field development are the major industries of the area. In 1993, the Alameda Dam, about 3 km east of the town, was opened. The reservoir, approximately 26 km long, provides a stable water supply and has created enhanced recreational opportunities.

David McLennan

Print Entry

Further Reading

McLennan, David. 2008. Our Towns: Saskatchewan Communities from Abbey to Zenon Park. Regina: Canadian Plains Research Center.

This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.