The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Church of the Nazarene

The Church of the Nazarene is an evangelical Wesleyan denomination with its roots in the United States. The denomination was officially formed at Pilot Point, Texas, in 1908, and spread largely by the amalgamation of various small denominations throughout the United States and Canada. In 1913 Tomas Bell held a revival meeting in the Pleasant Ridge community, south of Ernfold. This was the first penetration of the province by the denomination. The Saskatchewan District was officially organized in August 1916; but prior to this, churches had been organized by the Rev. C.A. Thompson in Regina and Luseland. In order to establish a base along the main line of the Canadian Pacific Railway, a church was organized at Morse in the fall of 1916 or early 1917. In April 1917 the Bestville church was organized with thirteen charter members. Over the next eight years a number of preaching points were begun, and by the District Assembly of 1921 there were ten organized churches in the province, which expanded to twelve by 1923. The Saskatchewan District became a part of the newly formed Canada West District (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba) in 1948, bringing 454 members into the new district. At the present time there are five active congregations in Saskatchewan: Prince Albert, Saskatoon, Regina, Wapella, and Yorkton.

Douglas L. Cooney

Print Entry

Further Reading

Parker, F. 1971. From East to Western Sea. Kansas City: Nazarene Publishing House.
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.