The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Aberdeen

Looking east through the early morning mist: These two grain elevators in Aberdeen are still in operation. In the foreground stands Cargill’s elevator built in 1981; behind it is the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool elevator that dates to 1954 (renovated in 1989). Photograph taken on August 10, 2004.
David McLennan

Town, pop 534, located approximately 32 km NE of Saskatoon off Hwy 41. The first settlers—people of Russian, English, Scottish, and Ukrainian descent—arrived in the late 1890s. The CNR arrived in 1905, and by the 1930s the population was close to 300. While Aberdeen’s proximity to the city of Saskatoon contributed to the town’s decline for several decades, it has more recently contributed to renewed growth beginning in the 1970s. Many residents of Aberdeen now commute to work in Saskatoon, and local employment opportunities are found in agriculture-based industries and small business. Aberdeen Composite School has a staff of 38 and provides K–12 Education to close to 400 students from the town and surrounding district. In 2003, the community received a major boost with the announcement that a multi-million dollar cultural and recreational complex would be built.

David McLennan

Print Entry

Further Reading

McLennan, David. 2008. Our Towns: Saskatchewan Communities from Abbey to Zenon Park. Regina: Canadian Plains Research Center.

This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.