The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

406 Squadron, RCAF

First formed on May 10, 1941, 406 Squadron was a night fighter squadron and remained so until November 27, 1944, when it was renamed 406 Intruder Squadron and converted to offensive operations over Europe. It was disbanded in England on September 1, 1945. On April 1, 1947, 406 (Intruder) Squadron was reformed at RCAF Station Saskatoon as 406 Tactical Bomber Squadron (Auxiliary). The squadron flew B-25 Mitchell aircraft in a light bomber role, as well as Harvard and T-33 Silver Star aircraft in an army co-operation role. It was renamed “City of Saskatoon” Squadron on September 3, 1952. In March 1958, 406 Squadron was reassigned to a light transport and emergency rescue role, and re-equipped with Expeditor and Otter aircraft. A reduction in the RCAF’s Auxiliary Force resulted in 406 “City of Saskatoon” Squadron (Auxiliary) being disbanded on April 1, 1964. Today, 406 Maritime Helicopter Squadron is the Helicopter Operational Training squadron for the Sikorsky CH-124 Sea King.

Stewart Mein

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.