The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Royal Canadian Air Force Station, Moose Jaw

Royal Canadian Air Force Station Moose Jaw is located in the hamlet of Bushell Park, approximately 6 km south of the city of Moose Jaw. Following its closure as a Service Flying Training School for Great Britain’s Royal Air Force at the end of World War II, the air base was used briefly as a municipal airport by the city of Moose Jaw, prior to its activation as a Canadian military air base in 1952. Following extensive renovation and new construction upon its activation, No. 2 Flying Training School (the “Big 2”) commenced flight operations on May 4, 1953, using rebuilt war surplus North American Harvard single-engine trainers and new Canadian-built CT-133 Silver Star advanced jet training aircraft. On April 1, 1966, Royal Canadian Air Force Station Moose Jaw was renamed Canadian Forces Base Moose Jaw.

Jeff Noel

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.