The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Waldheim

Town, pop 889, located approximately 50 km N of Saskatoon on Hwy 312. The town of Rosthern lies to the northeast, and the Petrofka Bridge across the North Saskatchewan River lies to the northwest. The origins of the community date to the early 1890s with the settlement of large numbers of Mennonites in the area, a presence which remains strong in Waldheim to this day. The name Waldheim means “forest home” in German, and was chosen as the district was well treed. The Waldheim post office was established in 1900, and with the arrival of the Canadian Northern Railway and the construction of the station in 1909 Waldheim became a railway centre for the developing agricultural community in the rich farmlands of the surrounding area. In 1912, Waldheim was incorporated as a village. From a population of 230 in 1916, it has grown steadily over the decades, reaching over 500 by the early 1960s. In Canada’s centennial year, 1967, Waldheim attained town status. Today, although the town’s residents benefit from the amenities that nearby Saskatoon has to offer, Waldheim itself has a strong business community providing a wide variety of goods and services, as well as a number of recreational facilities. An attractive feature of the town is the centrally located Sam Wendland Heritage Park. The site includes the former Canadian Northern station. Now a heritage property, the building serves as the Waldheim library.

David McLennan

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.