The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Saskatoon Light Infantry

Saskatoon Light Infantry return to Saskatoon, October 3, 1945.
University of Saskatchewan Archives A-6390
Saskatoon Light Infantry
Gerry Carline

The Saskatoon Light Infantry (SLI) was an infantry unit of the Canadian army formed on May 15, 1924. It began as the Saskatoon company of the 95th Regiment, which was expanded into the 105th Regiment (Saskatoon Fusiliers) in 1912. Many members of the 105th Regiment fought in the 5th (Western Cavalry) Battalion and the 28th Battalion, CEF, in World War I. In the military reorganization of 1920, all infantry units in the northern part of the province were combined into the North Saskatchewan Regiment. In 1924, the North Saskatchewan Regiment was divided into four city-based infantry units located in Saskatoon, Prince Albert, Battleford and Yorkton. On December 15, 1936, the SLI was amalgamated with “C” Company, 12th Machine Gun Battalion, to form the Saskatoon Light Infantry (Machine Gun). The SLI (MG) was mobilized on September 1, 1939. The 1st Battalion of the regiment was sent to Britain on December 8, 1939, as part of the 1st Canadian Division. It was the only infantry unit from northern Saskatchewan to see active service overseas during World War II. On July 13, 1943, the 1st Battalion, SLI (MG) landed in Sicily with the 1st Canadian Division and fought in the Italian campaign until March 1945, when it was transferred to Holland. 1st Battalion, SLI (MG), returned to Canada in November 1945. Its battle honours included: Sicily, Ortona, Liri Valley, Hitler Line, Gothic Line, Lamore Crossing, Rimini Line, and Apeldoorn. The 2nd Battalion SLI (MG) remained in Canada as part of the Reserve Army. In 1958, the Prince Albert and Battleford Volunteers amalgamated with the Saskatoon Light Infantry to become respectively the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the North Saskatchewan Regiment. In 1969, the 1st and 2nd Battalions merged to form the North Saskatchewan Regiment, with headquarters of “A” Company located in Saskatoon, and “B” Company in Prince Albert.

Peter Borch

Print Entry

Further Reading

Bercuson, D.J. 1994. Maple Leaf Against the Axis: Canada’s Second World War. Don Mills, ON: Stoddart; Blackburn, G.G. 1996. The Guns of Victory: A Soldier’s Eye View: Belgium, Holland, and Germany, 1944-45. Toronto: McClelland & Stewart; Zuehlke, Mark. 2003. The Line: Canada’s Month of Hell in World War II Italy. New York: Douglas & McIntyre.
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.