The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan


Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Royal University Hospital

In 1944, a survey of the health needs of Saskatchewan (Sigerist Report) recommended that a University Hospital of 500 beds be constructed for scientific teaching, clinical instruction, and research. Premier T.C. Douglas dedicated the building on May 14, 1955. He said: “This hospital is a monument which will draw comment when the province celebrates its 100th Anniversary, that the people of Saskatchewan, in 1955, built better than they knew.”

By 1958 the hospital was fully occupied, and it became necessary to plan for expansion. The addition was opened by Queen Elizabeth II on July 31, 1978, with 333,000 square feet dedicated to outpatient facilities, emergency services, and operating suites. A second expansion project added three new floors on top of the addition. It was opened on May 23, 1990, by Governor General Ramon Hnatyshyn, who conveyed the title “Royal” bestowed on the hospital by the Queen.

In 1992 the hospital became part of a conglomerate Saskatoon District Health Board, but it continued as the principal teaching hospital of the College of Medicine. It provides special services (cardiovascular medicine/surgery, neurosciences, obstetrics, and pediatrics) to the Saskatoon Regional Health District and the entire province.

Louis Horlick

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.