The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Regina Wartime Industries Ltd.

Interior of Regina Industries Limited, the largest munitions plant in Saskatchewan.
Saskatchewan Archives Board R-B9523

Saskatchewan’s largest wartime munitions plant, Regina Wartime Industries Ltd., was based in the former General Motors car assembly plant on Winnipeg St., in Regina. The factory was built in 1927, but closed in 1929 as a result of the poor economic conditions brought about by the Great Depression. During World War II, the building was obtained by the Dominion Government and used to manufacture anti-tank gun carriages, Oerlikon gun parts, as well as two-pound anti-tank guns and the famed “six-pounder” anti-tank gun. At the height of the war, Regina Wartime Industries Ltd. employed over 1,000 people, some of whom were reportedly working on a secret weapons project, which was ultimately abandoned with the end of the war.

Lauren Black

Print Entry

Further Reading

Drake, E.G. 1955. Regina: The Queen City. Toronto: McLelland and Stewart; Riddell, W.A. 1981. Regina: From Pile O' Bones to Queen City of the Plains: An Illustrated History. Burlington, ON: Windsor Publications.
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.