The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Morrison, Frances (1918–)

Frances Morrison, February 1981.
B. Weston (Saskatchewan Archives Board) PS80-2962-07

Born on September 28, 1918, in Saskatoon, Morrison received a Bachelor of Home Economics, University of Saskatchewan (1939) and a Bachelor of Library Sciences, University of Toronto (1947). In 1943 she began her library career as Children’s Department assistant, Saskatoon Public Library. She was chief librarian from 1961 to 1980; during her tenure she had charge of the construction of the new library (built 1966) and of the expansion of services in what became the Frances Morrison branch. She also supported establishment of the regional library system. She was president of the Saskatoon and Saskatchewan Library Associations, and vice-president of the Canadian Library Association (CLA). She chaired several important CLA committees, including its largest one, the public library section. Other involvements included the Saskatoon Business and Professional Women’s Club, the Heart and Stroke Foundation, and the Saskatchewan Arts Board (chair). Upon her retirement in1980, the Saskatoon Public Library Board named its main library in her honour. Her awards include the Queen’s Silver Jubilee Medal (1977), the Outstanding Service to Librarianship Award of the Canadian Library Association (1981), and the Saskatchewan Order of Merit (1999).

Daria Coneghan

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.