The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Fort Carlton-Touchwood Trail

This trail was widely used by First Nations and Métis traders during the early stages of the Fur Trade. Once Fort Carlton was established in 1795, its main provisional supply cache became Fort Touchwood. The trail was approximately 240 km long; the western terminus was Fort Carlton, and the eastern terminus Fort Touchwood, near present-day Punnichy. The Fort Carlton-Touchwood Trail became a common patrol route for the North-West Mounted Police after the North-West Resistance in 1885.

James Winkel

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.