The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Fort Carlton-Green Lake Trail

This trail was a vital link between two very important Hudson’s Bay Company trading posts during the Fur Trade: Fort Carlton and Green Lake. The Green Lake post was established in 1781, and Fort Carlton in 1795; the forested and often marshy regions between the two posts made travel difficult. The 176-km trail was considered by many as one of the more efficient overland routes to northern Saskatchewan via the Green, Beaver and Churchill River systems. Fort Carlton became the company’s distribution centre for the entire northwest, and Green Lake was the closest post that connected overland trails to the Churchill River.

James Winkel

Print Entry
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.