The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan

 

Welcome to the Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan. For assistance in exploring this site, please click here.

If you have feedback regarding this entry please fill out our feedback form.

Bushell Park

, pop 379, located 5 km S of the city of Moose Jaw on provincial highway 363 and adjacent to the Canadian Air Forces 15 Wing, Moose Jaw-Air Vice-Marshal CM McEwen Airfield. Part of a large-scale expansion of existing World War II facilities at the airbase when it was reactivated as a Royal Canadian Air Force Station in 1952, the community was organized to provide housing for Air Force personnel and their families. On September 19, 1954, Sybil Bushell of Fort Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan, cut a ribbon at the main entrance to the community, officially naming it Bushell Park in memory of her son, Squadron Leader Christopher “Kit” Bushell, a World War II fighter pilot who was killed in action during the war.

Jeff R. Noel

Print Entry

Further Reading

Office of Air Force History and Heritage, 15 Wing Moose Jaw: CFB Moose Jaw Base History, 1939–1985.
This web site was produced with financial assistance
provided by Western Economic Diversification Canada and the Government of Saskatchewan.
University of Regina Government of Canada Government of Saskatchewan Canadian Plains Research Center
Ce site Web a été conçu grâce à l'aide financière de
Diversification de l'économie de l'Ouest Canada et le gouvernement de la Saskatchewan.