St. Thomas More College (STM) is a federated Catholic liberal arts college on the campus of the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon. In 1913, Saskatoon Catholics had asked for a Catholic college at the university; in 1926 the first step was taken when Fr. Basil Markle arrived to teach scholastic philosophy and serve as Catholic chaplain. St. Thomas More College was eventually founded in 1936 by the Congregation of St. Basil of Toronto (Basilians). Under the federation agreement negotiated by Superior-General Fr. Henry Carr of the Basilians and President Walter Murray of the University, STM is financially and legally independent, but academically merged with the university. STM faculty members offer courses to eligible students for credit towards University of Saskatchewan degrees. In 1936, the college opened with three faculty and 39 students, and STM classes were taught in university classrooms. At the present time, the college is housed in a large stone building and includes a chapel, library, art gallery, auditorium, cafeteria, student lounge, campus ministry area, classrooms, and administration and faculty offices. In 2004-05, faculty numbered 54, with over 2,100 STM-registered students. The college chapel houses works by artists Lionel Thomas and William Kurelek.