The congregation of Sisters of Notre Dame d'Auvergne (the name used in Canada) had its beginnings in Usson-en Forez, France in 1730. Their first Rule was approved in 1745 and they were given the name still used in France: Soeurs de Notre Dame de Chambriac. In 1913, at the request of Fr. Albert Royer, the founder of the town of Ponteix, six Sisters came from France to Saskatchewan to establish and staff a school and a hospital. Today the Sisters continue to minister in Ponteix and Saskatoon. Their apostolate continues to focus primarily on youth, the sick and the poor.