The Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps traces its roots back to 17th-century New France when supplies were needed to sustain men enlisted to repel an Iroquois raid. In 1871, an ordnance depot within the Canadian Stores Department was established as part of the Militia. It was responsible for all stores and equipment including the purchase, repair, and disposal of all items required by the military. The Ordnance Stores Corps was officially created in 1903, followed by the Canadian Ordnance Corps in 1907.
In addition to its military functions, the Corps supported the Allied Expeditionary Force to Siberia in 1919 and various organizations such as the Boy Scouts, Red Cross Disaster Relief Agency, and government relief camps in the 1930s. In 1936, No. 12 Detachment, Permanent Active Militia and No. 1 Army Field Park, Non-Permanent Active Militia were established in Regina. On September 11, 1939, 1st Ordinance Field Park was mobilized, arriving overseas in December. Personnel were recruited based on their civilian occupations and skills for individual units. Many volunteers were more senior in age than those selected for combat duty. Camp Dundurn remains the central Ammunition Depot for western Canada.