Town, pop 602, located in the west-central region of the province, between the town of Kerrobert and the Saskatchewan-Alberta border on Hwy 31. Settlers began arriving in the district in the spring of 1906, with more coming the subsequent year. It was in the following years, however, that the district came to be substantially settled. The Luse Land and Development Co. of St. Paul, Minnesota, acquired 100,000 acres of land in the area and successfully attracted large numbers of German settlers from the mid-western United States. The CPR was building its line through the district in 1910 and, on December 10 that year, Luseland (name derivation apparent) was incorporated as a village. Developing as a service centre for the surrounding farming district, Luseland grew steadily, attaining town status on January 1, 1954. Through the 1950s and the 1960s the community grew substantially as rural populations shifted to urban centres and the development of the oil and gas industry in the area boosted and diversified the economy. By 1966, Luseland had a population of 826. From 1953 to 1965 the number of homes in the community rose from 160 to 300 and, during the same period, the town was modernized with streets paved and sewer and water systems installed. Today, Luseland has a variety of businesses and services, recreational facilities and groups involved with sport, artistic and cultural activities. The Luseland Social Community Hall and Theatre, built in 1920, has been designated a heritage property, and for 85 years the dual-function facility has been a centre of community activity. One of Canada’s most successful businessmen, billionaire Jimmy Pattison, originally hails from Luseland. When the community needed financial assistance to construct a motel, Pattison contributed $100,000 to the project and returned to Luseland for the official ribbon-cutting ceremony. Agriculture continues to dominate the area economy and consists of both crop and cattle production. The first modern concrete grain terminal built in the province by the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool was constructed in Luseland in the late 1980s and, at the time, it was the largest facility of its kind in western Canada. The oil and gas industry continues to gain in importance in the region, and five pipelines now run through the district.