The Knights of Columbus is an international Catholic men's fraternal benefit society founded in 1882 by Father Michael J. McGivney of New Haven, Connecticut to render mutual aid and financial assistance to members and their families in times of need. As the organization grew and developed, the Knights began in addition to promote social and intellectual fellowship for members and their families, and also to reach out to the larger community through sponsorship of educational, charitable, religious, social welfare, war relief and public relief works. The first Knights of Columbus council in Saskatchewan was formed in Regina in 1907, followed by Saskatoon and Prince Albert (1910), Moose Jaw (1911), Weyburn (1914), Humboldt (1917), Yorkton and Gravelbourg (1919), and North Battleford (1920). Now Saskatchewan has over 10,000 Knights in more than 150 councils, including several French, Ukrainian and Filipino councils.
Over the years, the Knights have participated in many worthwhile projects and activities, both within the Catholic Church and in the larger Saskatchewan community. They support community projects in the areas of sports, education, health care, family life, youth, and children with special needs. In 2003 the Knights of Saskatchewan contributed over $1.8 million and 850,000 hours of volunteer service to charitable causes.