Chief Kopahawakemum, as leader of the Meadow Lake First Nation, signed Treaty 6 on September 3, 1878, at Fort Carlton. A reserve immediately north of Meadow Lake was settled in 1889 by this Cree nation. Annuity payments were received at Fort Carlton between 1899 and 1904, at the Battleford Agency between 1905 and 1948, and in June 1948 the Meadow Lake Agency was formed. It is unknown when Chief Kopahawakemum passed away, but Aypaspik was noted as chief in 1899. On July 3, 1909, James Bear became chief, and remained in office until 1918. Matchee (Good Little Hunter) was born about 1863 on the Stony Point Reserve in northern Manitoba and moved to Pasqua-Se-Kee-Ha-Gan (Meadow Lake) when he was 17. He became chief when he was 60 years old in 1923, and as a hereditary chief was not replaced until he passed away. Initially the forest provided the band with building materials, game, fish, and berries, and as they became agriculturally productive they were able to sell livestock, dairy and poultry products. The band controls 5,254.8 ha of reserve land (.2 in the town of Meadow Lake); of the 1,000 band members, 396 people live on reserve.