Town, pop 1,017, located on Hwy 18, 32 km W of the Manitoba border, and 20 km N of the International Boundary. The first settlers arrived in the Carnduff district, primarily from Ontario, in the early 1880s. It was not until the fall of 1891 that the CPR’s Brandon-Estevan branch line reached the Carnduff area. Until the 1950s, the town had a widely fluctuating population. After that, the community experienced rapid growth, doubling in size by the 1970s, and then the population stabilized. Agriculture and oil production are the main industries in the area. The sandy loam land around Carnduff is used mainly for mixed farming, and many of the family farms in the district date back to the homestead era. Since there are several hundred producing oil wells in the region, a number of companies in the industry have offices in the town. Carnduff provides a full range of businesses, services, and recreational facilities. This community also has the distinction of being the birthplace of Ernest C. Manning (1908–96), who served as Premier of Alberta from 1943 to 1968.