In 1967, the International Brotherhood of Pulp, Sulphite and Paper Mill Workers granted a charter to Local 403 to represent workers at the Prince Albert Pulp Mill. In 1972, these workers came under the jurisdiction of the United Paperworkers International Union (UPIU) as local 1120. In 1974, the majority of the Canadian locals who belonged to UPIU formed the Canadian Paperworkers Union. Finally, in 1992, the local became part of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union after a merger of workers in the energy sector and the communications field. In 1985, the local spearheaded a drive to clean up asbestos contamination in its plant and assisted the Department of Labour, Occupational Health and Safety Division to set up a program to clean up, monitor, test and remove asbestos from worksites.