Town, pop 311, located 60 km NE of Estevan and 40 km N of the US border. The first settlers in the early 1880s were of Scottish and English origins. Beginning in 1897, German settlers from Michigan began homesteading in the district. Today, mixed farming and oil field development are the major industries of the area. In 1993, the Alameda Dam, about 3 km east of the town, was opened. The reservoir, approximately 26 km long, provides a stable water supply and has created enhanced recreational opportunities.
McLennan, David. 2008. Our Towns: Saskatchewan Communities from Abbey to Zenon Park. Regina: Canadian Plains Research Center.