Town, pop 1,282, located approximately 55 km SW of North Battleford at the junction of Hwys 14 and 29. Settlers began arriving in the fall of 1905, and building at the townsite began in 1907. In 1910 Wilkie became a town, and the first history of the community was published by the Wilkie Press that year.
Wilkie grew through to the end of the 1950s, becoming a centre of over 1,600. After 1960 it declined, as did many rural communities in the province. Wilkie’s community leaders, however, did not accept decline as inevitable: when the hospital was closed in 1996, they responded with proactive and imaginative initiatives to foster economic development. Partnerships were formed with the town of Unity and other neighbouring communities. A number of new agriculture-based businesses were started, creating close to 100 new jobs and revitalizing not only the local economy, but also community spirit. Residents made conscious efforts to shop locally and use as many local services as possible.
Today, the town has a diverse array of businesses, a range of medical services, an RCMP detachment, and a number of churches, recreational facilities and cultural organizations. The adjacent Wilkie Regional Park has facilities for camping, swimming, baseball, and golf.