This Eastern Rite order of nuns was founded in 1896 in the Village of Tsebliv, Ukraine by Rev. Father Prelate Cyril Siletzky (1835–1918). Its primary apostolate was to perform works of Christian charity organizing schools, caring for orphans, the sick and the aged, teaching catechism, and supporting the priests in their work. The first two Sisters of St. Joseph arrived in Saskatoon in March 1961, and immediately began preparing themselves for the task of operating the Eparchy’s new nursing home, which was well into its planning stage. Other Sisters soon joined them, and collectively they earned the legal rights of ownership to St. Joseph’s Home. The 85-bed home has been under the consistent and uninterrupted administration and spiritual care of the Sisters for its entire 40-year history. In 1969 one of the Sisters left Saskatoon to establish the community in Brazil; within three years two young Brazilian Sisters of Ukrainian ancestry came to Canada to assist in the operation of St. Joseph’s Home. Sisters from Brazil continued to augment the community’s numbers, which had only received two lasting vocations from Canada, until December 1992, when the first of several Sisters from a free Ukraine started to arrive. In addition to their 24-hour service at the Home, the Sisters pray and teach catechism, operate a Sadochok (Ukrainian preschool), participate in parish activities, serve on various boards and committees, deliver retreats and lectures, make and decorate vestments, write icons and articles, work in and support the missions, and comfort and counsel the faithful.