Town, pop 482, located equidistant from the communities of Melfort and Tisdale off Hwy 3. The first few settlers arrived in the area in 1898–99 and, in 1902, one of the first couples in the area, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Starkey (homestead entry May 1, 1899) opened a post office in addition to the small store they operated out of their log home. The name Star City was chosen, honouring the Starkeys and reflecting the early pioneers’ hopes for development in the area. The first settlers came via the railway to Prince Albert and then travelled with horses or oxen and wagon from there. As the railroad progressed westward, many would find work involved with its construction. In 1904, the Star City townsite was surveyed and lots were put up for sale. The Starkeys moved in from their homestead and built a substantial general store. In 1905, many businesses were started. A hotel was built. On April 6, 1906, with a population of 109, Star City was incorporated as a village. Lumbering was big business as the parklands were cleared for agriculture. The community grew steadily and with a population of just under 600 in 1921, Star City attained town status. The population remained fairly stable until the mid-1960s. Today, Melfort and Tisdale provide Star City residents with many sources of employment, goods, services, recreation, and culture. Star City retains a small core of essential businesses and services and has paved, tree-lined streets throughout its well-kept residential neighbourhoods. Fourth Street features fine examples of pre-Depression era architecture.