George C. Solomon, born in 1913 in Regina, was instrumental in developing a variety of diverse enterprises, including Western Tractor, Western Equipment, Ipsco, Steelco, Sask Steel Fabricators, Construction Equipment Ltd, Industrial Sales Ltd, Sterling Rentals, Tobin Tractor, Poli Twine, and Central Canada Distilleries. In addition to these business accomplishments he served as a corporate director of banks, breweries and other corporations. He also sat on the boards of directors of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, the YMCA, the Salvation Army, the Boy Scouts of Canada, the Canada Council of Christians and Jews, the Regina Exhibition Board, and the Duke of Edinburgh Awards. He was also instrumental in raising funds for the University of Saskatchewan, for Campion and Luther Colleges at the University of Regina, and for Notre Dame at Wilcox. Solomon made a significant contribution to Canada’s effort in World War II by organizing the fuel distribution system for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan in Saskatchewan. He also played a major role in acquiring and providing much of the heavy construction equipment and other material, which was rushed north to complete the Alaska Highway. He was recognized by the government of Canada for his efforts when he was appointed to be the Honorary Colonel of the Royal Regina Rifles.
Solomon was the recipient of the 1973 Human Relations Award by the Canada Council for Christians and Jews, the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award in 1978, an honorary doctorate by the University of Regina in 1980, and the Citizen of the Year award by the B’nai B’rith in 1981. He was inducted into the Saskatchewan Order of Merit in 1985, was awarded the Jubilee Medal in 1977 and the Canada 125 Medal in 1993, and was appointed as a Member of the Order of Canada in 1993. George C. Solomon died in 1994.