In 1667, Anne Marie Martel, under the direction of a Sulpician priest, began instructing poor uneducated women in the region of Le Puy, France. In 1896 Bishop Paul Durieu of New Westminster, BC, requested Sisters of the Child Jesus to come and teach the Native children in his territory. Four Sisters traveled from France to Canada and began their work at St. Joseph’s Mission, near William’s Lake.
In 1915, the congregation, based then in North Vancouver, agreed to send Sisters to Saskatchewan to carry out domestic work for Bishop Pascal and the many priests who lived in the clergy residence in Prince Albert. In the following years, Sisters also came to St. Hippolyte, North Battleford, Albertville, Saskatoon and Jackfish Lake. They taught in both public and separate schools, nursed, and did pastoral works in parishes, homes and hospitals. At the present time there are Sisters of the Child Jesus in North Battleford and Saskatoon, where they continue to be involved in pastoral ministry.