The congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of the Cross (Notre Dame de la Croix) was founded in 1832 in Murinais, France for the education of young girls, and the care of the sick and elderly in their homes. On invitation from the La Salette priests, Sisters M. Alype, M. Ludovic and five others came to Forget, Saskatchewan from France in 1905. They established a bilingual school, which opened on March 1, 1906, as St. Joseph Academy for boys and girls, both boarders and day-scholars. Other schools where the Sisters taught were St. Hubert via Whitewood (1907–68); St. Anne Convent, Wauchope (1917–64); Sacred Heart Convent, with three public school classrooms; Montmartre (1920–70); and the School for Mentally Challenged Children and Adults, Redvers (1964–80). The congregation also founded and owned Joan of Arc Home; St. Hubert Mission via Whitewood (1920–68); St. Joseph Home, Marcelin (1944–56); Mount St. Mary Home, Weyburn (1953–77); and Mount St. Joseph, Prince Albert (1956–92). At present, Sisters of Our Lady of the Cross are in Saskatoon and Prince Albert, where they assist in teaching, nursing, social services, and parish work.