The congregation of the Sisters of Charity of Montreal (the Grey Nuns) was founded by St. Marguerite d’Youville in Montreal in 1737, in response to the needs of the poor in the area. The Grey Nuns came west and served at Ile-à-la-Crosse from 1860 to 1905 and from 1917 to 2001, teaching, operating an orphanage, and establishing a Catholic hospital. They also served in Lebret (1884–1975), Lestock (1897–1932), Regina (1907–78), Saskatoon (1907–), Beauval (1910–71), Biggar (1923–2000), Rosthern (1927–35), Gravelbourg (1928–), Portage La Loche (1943–81), Prince Albert (1955–60), Lisieux (1958–68), Albertville (1960–63), Buffalo Narrows (1968–82), Zenon Park (1972–73), and Esterhazy (1987–).
In Saskatchewan, the Grey Nuns are known for their work in health care administration and nursing: St. Joseph’s Hospital, Ile-à-la-Crosse (1927–2001); Grey Nuns’ Hospital, Regina (1907–74); St. Paul’s Hospital, Saskatoon (1907–99); St. Marguerite Hospital, Biggar (1923–67); St. John’s Hospital, Rosthern (1927–35); St. Joseph’s Hospital (1928–2000) and Foyer d’Youville (1961–2000), Gravelbourg; St. Martin’s Hospital, La Loche (1943–81); and St. Anthony’s Hospital, Esterhazy (1987–). In addition, the Grey Nuns were involved in teaching, pastoral care, parish ministry, nursing education, and in the Elmwood Residences in Saskatoon. At the present time, the Grey Nuns continue to serve in a variety of ministries in Saskatoon, Gravelbourg and Esterhazy.