Town, pop 395, located in the east-central parklands, SW of Greenwater Lake Provincial Park and 38 km N of Wadena on Hwy 35. Settlers began arriving in the district around 1904–05; most were of either Scandinavian or Ukrainian origins. The Rose Valley townsite was purchased by the CPR in 1923 and, in 1924, construction of the railway from Wadena through the townsite to Tisdale was completed. Businesses began to be established in 1924 and the new community was named after a rural post office which was moved to the townsite the same year. In 1940, Rose Valley was incorporated as a village, and by 1961 the community had a peak population of 627. In 1962, Rose Valley attained town status. Agriculture is the area’s economic mainstay and is based upon grain and livestock production. Rose Valley serves the district with a core of businesses, as well as health and recreational facilities. There are a number of service clubs and community-based organizations. Rose Valley School is a K–12 facility, which had 171 town and area students enrolled in the fall of 2004. Students from the village of Archerwill are bussed to Rose Valley to attend Grades 10 through 12. Scattered throughout the district are a number of pioneer churches which have been designated heritage properties.