From its humble beginnings as a one-man operation (with James Williams, a former North-West Mounted Police corporal, appointed as Town Constable in 1892), the Regina Police Service has grown to nearly 500 people, including both active officers and civilians. In the early years, police dealt with stray animals and transients, enforced sanitation laws, kept streets free from obstruction, dealt with bullies and fighting, served as fire fighters, provided an ambulance service, maintained an auto patrol, and even rang the town bell. As the city grew, many of these responsibilities devolved to other services.
Originally housed in City Hall, the police service and jail soon outgrew their welcome. A police station was built in 1931 as an unemployment relief project. New stations and communication centres at Halifax Street and Osler Street have been built as needed. The Regina Police Service has established many programs through the years, including the School Safety Patrol in 1949, the Canine (K–9) section in 1973, Block Parent and Neighborhood Watch in 1975–76, Special Weapons and Tactical Team (SWAT) in 1975, the Cultural Liaison Program in 1983, Crime Stoppers in 1984, the 9-1-1 service in 1985, Victim Services Unit in 1989, and Bike Patrols in 1990. The first woman officer was hired in 1957, and the first Aboriginal officer in 1964.