Town, pop 401, located halfway between Saskatoon and North Battleford at the junction of Hwys 16 and 340. The North Saskatchewan River lies 12 km to the south. Settlement in the area began in the early 1900s, and the first few businesses were built on the present townsite in 1904 in anticipation of the coming railway. The Canadian Northern Railway came through in 1905; that year, some 65 buildings were erected, among them the railway station, a hotel, and the first grain elevator. The Radisson school district was formed in 1905, with classes held in temporary quarters until a school building was completed the following year. Radisson was incorporated as a village in 1906 and attained town status in 1913. The community was named after Pierre-Esprit Radisson, the colourful explorer and fur trader whose exploits led to the founding of the Hudson’s Bay Company. The Radisson district economy is based on the cattle industry and diversified grain farming. The community has a core of businesses, services, and recreational facilities. Radisson’s school, after 100 years in operation, was closed in June 2004 after a controversial decision made by the Saskatoon (West) School Division. Two months later, on August 27, community members lined the streets as their students left on buses to travel the 25 km to the village of Maymont.