Born on January 21, 1918, one of Saskatoon’s most respected entrepreneurs, Ross Pinder received his license in pharmacy from the University of Saskatchewan in 1939. Pinder’s career in pharmacy was interrupted by World War II, and after serving in the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, he rejoined Pinder’s Drugs as its president. Until his retirement in 1990, Ross Pinder oversaw the expansion of the family business from three drugstores in Saskatoon to twenty-three, including branches in Regina and Calgary. Active in Saskatoon community affairs, Pinder was a founding member of the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires and the United Way, and served on the board of St. Paul’s Hospital. He received the Saskatchewan Order of Merit in 1997. He died on July 10, 2004.
Canadian Plains Research Center