The Law Society of Saskatchewan exists to self-govern the legal profession in the best interests of the public. The fundamental principle of judiciary independence from state government, private citizens, and administrative bodies is a cornerstone of Canadian society. A Law Society was originally created under an Ordinance of the North-West Territories in 1898. At that time its membership included lawyers throughout the region which in 1905 became Saskatchewan and Alberta. There were those who wished to see the Society continue to operate in both provinces, but in 1907 the province of Saskatchewan passed The Legal Profession Act, which established a separate provincial bar. The Society has been modified several times since then to reflect changes to the legal profession, including such things as the first admission of women law students in 1913.
The Law Society is governed by a group of elected lawyers and laymen known as Benchers, who manage and conduct all aspects of the Society. It seeks to regulate and uphold high standards of competence and integrity in its members, including: admission standards and education through the Saskatchewan Legal Education Society; the Code of Professional Conduct; and the discipline of errant law society members. The Society defends the independence of the legal profession, and works to improve the administration of justice and rules of law. It has an administrative liaison, maintains extensive libraries and a mentor program for lawyers, and offers a referral service for the public.