Town, pop 478, located approximately 69 km NW of Swift Current, N of the SOUTH SASKATCHEWAN RIVER and Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park. Ranchers operated in the district as early as 1883, and in 1923 the townsite of Kyle was established. The community grew steadily until the 1950s, at which point the population stabilized around 500. The Kyle area economy has traditionally been based upon agriculture, but in recent years oil and gas production has also become important. In 1964, the remains of a woolly mammoth were found by road workers 5 km west of the town. The bones were estimated to be about 12,000 years old; to commemorate the find, a concrete replica of the mammoth, approximately three metres high, was erected in the community.