Town, pop 495, located 56 km SE of Saskatoon on Hwy 11. The first settlers in the district arrived in 1901, and in 1902 the first buildings began to appear on the townsite. Although settlers arriving in the district were of diverse backgrounds (there were people from eastern Canada, the British Isles, and the mid-western United States), two large bloc settlements of people took up land in the Hanley area: Norwegians in 1903, and Mennonites in 1924. While many young Saskatchewan communities suffered devastating fires, Hanley seems to have weathered more than its share. Significant blazes occurred in 1912, 1929, 1935 and 1947, each with a number of properties lost. One community landmark that did survive the flames could not survive the wrecking ball. For decades, the Hanley Opera House, completed in 1914, served as a centre of cultural activity for a wide area; but by 1982 it was dilapidated beyond repair, unsafe, and was therefore demolished. Today, Hanley has a core of essential businesses and services. Slightly more than 25% of Hanley’s population is over the age of 65, and a small percentage of residents commute to work in Saskatoon. Agriculture continues to be the basis of the area’s economy.