The Fort Ellice-Wood Mountain Trail was a provisional route used primarily in the late 18th century. Although many of Saskatchewan’s earliest trails were used to haul fur, there were also those that carried provisions. The Fort Ellice-Wood Mountain Trail was widely known for its use as a pemmican supply route from 1757 until the 1850s. The trail was longer than most (approximately 400 km), and it connected Fort Ellice (near present-day St. Lazare, Manitoba) and Wood Mountain, Saskatchewan. It also became the primary route to Moosomin after the establishment of the Cannington Manor agricultural settlement in the mid-1880s.