Fort Carlton-Touchwood Trail

This trail was widely used by First Nations and M├ętis traders during the early stages of the fur trade. Once Fort Carlton was established in 1795, its main provisional supply cache became Fort Touchwood. The trail was approximately 240 km long; the western terminus was Fort Carlton, and the eastern terminus Fort Touchwood, near present-day Punnichy. The Fort Carlton-Touchwood Trail became a common patrol route for the North-West Mounted Police after the North-West Resistance in 1885.

James Winkel