Fort Carlton-Green Lake Trail

This trail was a vital link between two very important Hudson’s Bay Company trading posts during the fur trade: Fort Carlton and Green Lake. The Green Lake post was established in 1781, and Fort Carlton in 1795; the forested and often marshy regions between the two posts made travel difficult. The 176-km trail was considered by many as one of the more efficient overland routes to northern Saskatchewan via the Green, Beaver and Churchill river systems. Fort Carlton became the company’s distribution centre for the entire northwest, and Green Lake was the closest post that connected overland trails to the Churchill River.

James Winkel