The Estevan Police Service is one of twelve municipal police forces in Saskatchewan. The Estevan police are responsible for enforcing federal, provincial, and municipal laws applicable in the city of Estevan. Policing in Estevan began in 1906, the year Estevan was incorporated as a town; the first police officer to serve the townspeople was officer S. Dryden. Prior to 1906, laws in the village of Estevan were enforced by the North-West Mounted Police (NWMP). In 1886, NWMP inspector J.A. McGibbon came to the Estevan area from Regina. Accompanied by sixteen men and twenty-five horses, McGibbon established summer headquarters at Alameda, with a detachment at Wood End, eight miles south of Estevan; and by 1892, an NWMP detachment had been set up in Estevan. Through the 1920s and 1930s Estevan’s police force consisted of a chief and a single constable. In 1957, Estevan was proclaimed a city and its municipal police force had grown to nine officers. Today, serving Saskatchewan’s eighth largest city and a population of over 10,000, the Estevan Police Service maintains a staff of twenty-six, including twelve constables, five sergeants, and a chief of police.