Town, pop 517, located 38 km S of Rosetown on Hwys 4 and 44. The area was largely settled between 1909 and 1912, and the townsite was surveyed in 1913. Elrose grew rapidly until the beginning of the 1930s; it then experienced a substantial loss of population during that decade, from which it did not recover until after World War II. In 1951, the town’s population was close to 700. The basis of the regional economy was, and remains, agriculture; however, in recent years oil and gas production has become an increasingly important industry. The town has a number of suppliers and services which cater to the agricultural industry, as well as financial and professional services, recreational facilities, and cultural institutions.